We love these mini pattypan squashes for their versatility, flavor, and ease of preparation.
Mild and buttery, roasted patty pan squash is a delicious side dish for almost any meal!
Fall is the best time of year for bountiful harvests of squash!
What is Patty Pan Squash?
This bright yellow squash has scalloped edges resembling a toy top. It has firm flesh perfect for various cooking methods, and the flavor and texture are similar to zucchini or summer squash. You can roast it whole or cube it like in our recipe.
Also known as as “baby squash,” it’s so simple to bake, no peeling required! This recipe adds fresh herbs and garlic for a burst of light, fresh flavor. It’s truly a treat for any home cook!
Ingredients for Roasted Patty Pan
In addition to patty pan squash, this recipe uses ingredients you likely have on hand.
Fresh Herbs – Fresh parsley, basil, dill, lemon zest, and salt make a delicious herb oil.
Garlic – Makes just about any roasted vegetable taste amazing, and patty pan squash is no exception to the rule!
Olive Oil – We love olive oil in dressings and in the oil in this recipe. If you have bacon grease, use a little for roasting for a rich smoky flavor!
Variations – Sprinkle on a little Parmesan cheese and place the roasted squash under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown!
How to Roast Patty Pan Squash
No need to peel the squash, just wash and cut!
- Season prepared patty pan with oil, salt, and pepper and roast according to recipe below.
- Prepare herbed oil, toss with roasted squash and serve immediately.
- If you have leftovers, serve them chilled on top of a bed of greens or puree it and add it to soup!
- Keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator and reheat it in the microwave. Refresh the flavors with a little more salt and pepper and it’s good to go!
- Freeze chilled roasted squash in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and it will keep its flavor for at least a month.
Did you make this Roasted Patty Pan Squash? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Patty Pan Squash
- 1 ½ pounds patty pan squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
Herb Oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- ½ tablespoon fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash patty pan squash and trim the top and bottom. Cut into 1" bite sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper to taste.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or just until tender-crisp. Broil 1 minute if desired.
- While squash is roasting, finely chop herbs. Whisk herbs with olive oil, lemon zest and a small pinch of salt.
- Toss herb oil with squash and serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!